About Me

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Column #20 - The day in the life of a Fashion Designer

A day in the Life of a Fashion Designer
By Amy Witt
 
            I am passionate to be a fashion designer. I eat, sleep, and breathe fashion. Being a fashion designer is probably one of the most diverse, exciting, and disappointing professions. I always knew my heart was in designing and I am so lucky to be able to do what I love. Waking up in the morning is the worst; my mind is constantly exploding with ideas…sometimes to the point where I can’t sleep at night.
Being a in the western industry as a designer is quite a bit different then most people think. I work with people who have never saddled a horse, let alone probably don’t even know what a saddle is. I constantly have to explain to them that functional, fun, different, clothes sell…but functional is the bold word here. For those who know from experience, you know how frustrating it is to have your shirt come un-tucked when you stand up to rope a steer, or how your pants aren’t high enough in the back when you squat down to tie a goat. I could go on and on about the way clothes should fit.
Having an opportunity with the biggest and well-known western company, Wrangler, has been life changing.  No-one knows how hard I worked and how grateful I am to be able to accomplish designing my own collection for Wrangler. This industry is cut-throat, scary, but addicting and rewarding. I am a go-getter so I am constantly trying to better my skills, as well as, making a name for myself. Sending my resume and samples of my designs, seems to be a weekly occurrence. Many people think our jobs as a fashion designer is easy. Let me tell you, I have many sleepless nights, I get criticized torn apart, many unanswered emails and phone calls, being told no isn’t unusual, and being young, many companies think I haven’t had the education nor experience. Never giving up until I reach the top and being the president of my own western clothing line someday will possibly make me satisfied.
Two hours of ZZZZ’s, I slept last night, because we, as an up-and coming company have an opportunity of a lifetime. Last minute sketches were demanded and you can’t imagine the avenues, stress, and challenges I faced. Fashion is my life. It’s a cold, bitter harsh world, but the best job in the world. I will never give up and you shouldn’t either no matter what you are passionate about!

Have a great day! It's a beautiful day here!
I looovvveee Easter! I loooovvve spring!
I love the baby calves, baby horse, bunnies, everything...the flowers, the green grass...it's marvelous!
XOXO
Love ya!

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to
be something but to be someone."
Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel


2 comments:

  1. Only if I knew how to sketch...I'm super jealous lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is everything going with the collection Amy? Are you working on anything new?

    ReplyDelete