About Me

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Column #9 - Not Just Shoes.

Not Just Shoes.
By Amy Witt

My next purchases!

Walking by the down town streets of Santa Fe, New Mexico three years back, searching for old turquoise and vintage cowboy boots, I stumbled upon a decadent boutique that sold nothing but incense, peace signs, nature inspired art, and my now favorite go to shoes…TOMS. As I searched for my first perfect pair of TOMS, the aroma of incense floating through the store, and the sales woman in my ear rambling on about these shoes, all I could think about was how excited I was to go home to California rocking my first pair of classic natural canvas TOMS hoping I was the first girl in Porterville sporting them!
Excited about my first purchase and my TOMS flag that’s included, I couldn’t wait to send a picture to my mom because only she could understand and appreciate my want and obsession with TOMS. Being distracted, I hadn’t realized the sales woman was attempting to educate me that not only was I buying one pair but TWO and the other pair would be given to a child in need of shoes not only in the United States but around the world. Knowing this made me feel so grateful and satisfied inside.
TOMS was founded by Blake Mycoskie in 2006. As of 2010, because of me and millions of customers around the world, TOMS has given one million brand new pairs of TOMS to child in need. The best part about TOMS is that it involves you. This isn’t a charity, it isn’t just a shoe company and it most certainly isn’t a fad. TOMS is a movement, a One for One movement to be specific.
TOMS are some of the most comfortable and cute pairs of shoes you will ever wear. They sell both men and woman any age, many styles and colors, including wedges, boots, corduroy, sequins, and even a bridal collection for both bride and groom.
Not everyone can afford a pair of TOMS, which range from $40 to $65
but remind yourself for that price you get two pairs of TOMS.
 In November 2011, TOMS featured me on their website wearing my TOMS; they emailed me saying I had the most likes on a picture they’ve ever seen with someone wearing TOMS.
            Unfortunately, TOMS are not sold in Porterville, however, I do plan on hosting a TOMS “Style Your Sole” party for the town of Porterville allowing Porterville as a community to come together and get involved. For $44.00, you will receive a blank canvas of TOMS that you can paint, draw, and design yourself.  If you’d like to get involve please email me or check out: http://www.toms.com/style-your-sole.


Sporting my first TOMS downtown Santa Fe.
http://www.toms.com/flag?upost=1&post=13667&t=uphoto
             
I took this on the airplane ride home.

The pics below I found on my adventure in Santa Fe. They have amazing stuff!












I took this trip 3 years back to visit Derek on the set of Cowboys and Aliens. I spent most my days by myself running around downtown Santa Fe shopping! Downtown is fabulous shopping but you do run into alot of the same things.
I bought alloooottt of things on my trip from Indian baskets to turquoise to fur pelts to my TOMS. They also have amazing cowboy vintage stores full of cowboy boots, belts, and vintage shirts. There is actually a store called "Cowboys" which was filled with hundreds of vintage cowboy boots and western shirts.
I hope someday soon to visit Santa Fe again!


XOXO
Love ya!

"It is better to give than receive- especially advice"
Mark Twain




I

5 comments:

  1. I love your cardigan! I've been searching for one for myself for a while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to Santa Fe - For the shopping and the Green Chili!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cardigan and the toms! I'm dying to go to New Mexico and dive into their vintage and jewelry stands.

    xx Jacqueline

    fngm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, you are too cute! seriously, on that horse with the rope!? I am in love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post it shows some information i needs for a blog. Thanks and keep on posting. Please visit http://goo.gl/9qOz80

    ReplyDelete