About Me

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Column #17 - The Fallen SkyStone

The Fallen Skystone
By Amy Witt
 
I am obsessed with turquoise jewelry. It is not an obsession really…it holds beauty and signifies who I am. German, Dutch, Mexican, and some Cherokee Indian is the makeup of who I am while I feel like my Indian heritage is my soul and spirit.  Ever since I was a young girl I started collecting turquoise and now I have a collection that is very special to me. My collection ranges from pieces dated back to the 1940’s, from Cowboy and Indian Museums, and states all over the world. Each piece is significant and has a story and meaning behind them. Many were given as gifts and some I treated myself to. My turquoise gives me security and strength that many people cannot understand; I refuse to leave my house without all my turquoise rings on.  One of my favorite pieces is a delicate squash blossom shaped as a wagon wheel…given to me with love and bought from Texas. It is a stunning piece and I feel so special wearing it. I also have a “Hopi” bracelet that is absolutely jaw dropping purchased from Albuquerque, NM. While on one of my adventures to New Mexico, I was able to purchase a spirit necklace, aka, animal fetish necklace, from an older Indian woman who hand crafted every animal on the necklace.
Turquoise, “the fallen skystone,” has been found in burials over 7000 years old and is even referred to in the bible. For myself, and those who believe, the Native Americans believe that turquoise provides powers and strength for those who wear it. Turquoise combines well with all metals-copper, gold, brass. Its color palette ranges from sky-blue, hence the “fallen skystone,” to lime green, coral, purples, and grey tones.
Every few years or so, Turquoise re-gains its must-have trends. It is a perfect spring and summer trend, although I wear it everyday. It is always fun to mix turquoise with silver and gold and even pearls…in which you can always make a huge statement. Men and women alike can wear it and look fabulous while feeling happy and strong.
You will be noticing a lot of turquoise this spring and summer hitting runways and magazines. For me, turquoise isn’t a trend…it’s who I am! Mitchell’s Jewelers, Eagle Feather, and the Smoke Shack on the reservation all carry authentic stunning turquoise in Porterville. Many of our boutiques carry turquoise costume jewelry that is trendy and cute and adds the same flair. You can always find me rocking this stone to new levels wearing all black and layering with tones of turquoise, silver, and pearls! Try it! Rock it!
           
Hello....I am sorry I have failed to blog lately. My life has been crazy busy...and when I do go somewhere or do something I always seem to forget my darn camera.
Oh so like I got a personal trainer....and do they really have to make you soo sore you can barely move the next day...no wonder people don't go back. [haha]
Today and tomorrow are going to be crazy days but the most exciting will be this weekend...I seriously am counting down the days until Saturday!
Well I am off to a hair appt., writing some samples for a possible new column...very exciting, and many projects!
Have a beautiful day!


XOXO 
Love ya!
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
Ralph Waldo Emerson


3 comments:

  1. Turquoise is stunning when set in silver! I especially LOVE the first necklace with the black and the red lips! Now I'm going to be on the lookout for turquoise rings thanks to you!

    www.plentyforpennies.blogspot.com
    Vintage Collar Necklace Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. so wonderful lace blouse and jewellery!!
    please visit me in free time:)
    http://mesmerize87.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo good luck with the personal trainer Amy! I need one of those...

    ReplyDelete